The needs of Central Florida families demand that BETA Center's services be effective - and we are! A community cannot have a high quality of life without healthy families. As a community it is our job to provide resources to help those parents who want to be the best possible parent, but lack the knowledge and skills. All forms of child abuse and neglect can be destructive and dangerous to children and youth. One form is not any less serious than any other form. All forms of maltreatment merit your attention and concern. Because children do not come with their own instruction manual, we must make family support programs accessible to all. You only have to look at these statistics to know why we at BETA Center work so hard to help strengthen families.
"More than 80% of teen mothers become dependent on welfare"
"The daughter of a teen mother is up to 83% more likely to become a teenage mother herself."
- Campaign for Our Children of Central Florida
"Only about three in every 10 teen mothers earn a high school diploma."
- National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy.
"For every $1 spent on quality early intervention programs, the state can save up to $7 in later programs dealing with learning, emotional or mental disabilities."
- FSU Center for Prevention & Early Intervention
"Nearly1 in 5 children in Florida are considered living in high-risk families."
- Kids Count Survey
Central Florida (District 7) reports the highest number of child abuse and neglect cases in Florida.
- Department of Children and Families
Greater Orlando/Orange County reports the 8th largest number of child abuse and neglect cases in the NATION, on a county-by-county basis.
- National Abuse Registry
Serving over 16,000 clients in Orange, Osceola, and Seminole County
Emergency Family Support Services: 14,016
Food Pantry, Crisis Counseling, Information & Referrals, Baby Supplies & Diapers and Non-medical Pregnancy Testing.
|• The immediate threat of homelessness, hunger etc. was prevented by 96% of clients.
• Avoiding a similar crisis and better money management was achieved by 68% of clients.
Family & Neighborhood Connections: 1,048
Youth Development, Parenting Workshops, Case Management, Community Outreach and Family-Focused Events.
|• An increased feeling of self-worth/esteem was demonstrated by 87% of youth.
• 93% of parents plan to use their new knowledge to strengthen their parenting.
• Being part of positive change in a neighborhood is still statistically immeasurable, but we know community support is vital.
Parent Education Services: 445
Enrichment Workshops, Parent Skills Building Course, Understanding Anger Course, Families & Divorce Workshop, P.L.A.Y.Shop and Fathers Make Magic Program.
|• 98% of parents attending enrichment workshops learned new information.
• Through an increased knowledge of effective parenting skills, 79% attending courses were better equipped to meet their children's needs.
Pregnant & Parenting Teen Program: 456
Therapeutic Services, Prenatal and Parenting Education, Life Skills, Developmental Child Care and BETA Alternative School.
|• 98% of teen moms increased their life management skills.
• Passing parenting classes with at least a "C" was achieved by 88%.
• Parent/Child attachment was improved by 89%.
• 94% of the babies maintained "normal" developmental progress.
• 89% of our teen moms stayed in an educational setting.
Residential Program: 53
Pregnant Women (of all ages) and Transitional Housing for "Minors with Minors".
|• Decreased stress, anger & hostility were experienced by 84%.
• 98% increased their prenatal and parenting knowledge.
• Coping and life skills were increased by 83%.
• 100% experienced a safe and nurturing home.
Children and parents receiving the knowledge and support needed for strong and healthy families 16,018